ARx Buccal, Sublingual and Mucosal Thin Films
Buccal, sublingual and mucosal thin films from ARx, LLC provide added bioavailability benefits and fast API absorption compared to traditional dosage forms.
ARx custom formulates and manufactures drug-loaded mucosal film systems, designed to bond to challenging mucosal tissues for specified periods of time, while proving comfortable for the patient. The systems may be single or multi layer and formulated for removal upon treatment, or to completely erode at a pre-determined time. Multi-layer systems provide an added benefit in insuring API penetration through mucosal tissue before the entire system is dissolved.
Dissolvable films integrate most available forms of active pharmaceutical ingredients (APIs), including micronized, granulated, salt and free-base forms. Both soluble and insoluble drugs have been successfully compounded into solutions and suspensions which are further processed into a dissolvable film. Active concentrations of larger particle sized compounds are possible up to 50% of the final unit mass; the intended dose is achieved by determining and precisely controlling the size and thickness of the final film.
Benefits of ARx buccal, sublingual and mucosal thin film technologies:
- Tailorable film characteristics including dissolution rates, adhesion, film thickness, material composition, taste-masking and API absorption rates
- Dissolution may be triggered for a specific biological fluid, pH or other condition
- Multi-layered product constructions available for optimum bio-availability and stability
- A variety of excipient options for API compatibility and stability
- Multi-layered product constructions available for stability and efficacy
- Novel dosage format for product line extension
- Delivery of stable drug compounds and GRAS ingredients through excipient selection and product design
- Eliminates the need to swallow medication
- Discrete, easy to transport and administer
- Comfortable and discrete during dosing
- Pleasant taste and mouth feel
- Improved market success through enhanced compliance
Drug Delivery Benefits:
- Systemic drug delivery through mucosal absorption
- Bypass first pass metabolism effect
- Bypass enzymatic degradation
- Less API needed to achieve therapeutic response for cost savings and less potential for abuse
- Rapid onset and drug absorption
- Controlled pH for optimized drug delivery
Visit the ARx website: buccal, sublingual and mucosal thin films.